What is water softening?
Water softening is the removal of calcium, magnesium, and certain other metal cations in hard water. The resulting soft water is more compatible with soap and extends the lifetime of plumbing. Water softening is usually achieved using lime softening or ion-exchange resins.
The presence of certain metal ions like calcium and magnesium principally as bicarbonates, chlorides, and sulfates in water causes a variety of problems including the following:
- Hard water leads to the buildup of limescale, which can foul plumbing, and promote galvanic corrosion. In industrial scale water softening plants, the effluent flow from the re-generation process can precipitate scale that can interfere with sewage systems.
- The slippery feeling experienced when using soap with soft water occurs because soaps tend to bind to fats in the surface layers of skin, making soap molecules difficult to remove by simple dilution. In contrast, in hard-water areas the rinse water contains calcium or magnesium ions which form insoluble salts, effectively removing the residual soap from the skin but potentially leaving a coating of insoluble stearates on tub and shower surfaces, commonly called soap scum.
Article source: wikipedia.org/Water_softening
How does pthsoft water softener work?
pth stands for Prevention of Total Hardness. pthsoft is a catalytic converter which changes the nature and structure of potentially harmful dissolved minerals and salts in water, without the use of any chemicals, making it more acceptable for consumption by plants, whether vegetables, flowers or other crops or harvests. The device comprises a stainless steel casing with a multi metal and mineral core inside.
The pthsoft device enables the South African crop producer and flower grower to utilise the notoriously hard and “brack” local waters, which often hampers growing conditions, and which results in numerous side effects, such as stagnation, stress and leaf burn. pthsoft prevents the build-up of of limescale and algae in swimming pool pipes.
What does pthsoft do?
Not only does the pthsoft device save on water and electricity, but it also improves water quality and clean your plumbing from all rust and scale. It also protects sensitive equipment such as cooling towers, boilers, geysers, ice machines, dishwashers, washing machines, urns and coffee machines. Just 1 mm of lime scale (“kalk”) on a heating element, for example, increases electricity consumption by 10%.
pthsoft reduces chlorine in your pool by 50%!
Article source: watersofteningrsa.co.za
1. Great price. pthsoft is considerably cheaper.
2. Minimum Maintenance. pthsoft requires practically no maintenance. Resin softeners cannot function without regular salt charging.
3. No Running Costs. pthsoft has no parts to be replaced, and therefore absolutely no maintenance costs. Resin in softener ages and has to be replaced. Valves in softener are volatile and can be problematic. pthsoft, however, has no moving parts.
4. Environmentally friendly. Salty discharges released from resin softener in the soil during brine rinse process, cause brackness and “nothing” grows in brack soil.
Resin softeners have already been banned in several places worldwide. pthsoft, on the other hand, stimulates crops – up to 200% increase in crop yields.
5. Easy to install. pthsoft is easy to install. In-line. Sturdy, practical device. No moving parts. Unbreakable. Eliminates chemicals. Power interruptions confuse rinse cycle in fully automatic resin softeners.
6. Cost-effective. pthsoft saves on chemicals, acids, shutdowns, downtime, and manpower, all factors which affect production and consequently, profitability – this applies to plants and factories. pthsoft uses no electricity, apart from being unbreakable and lasting indefinitely.
7. Improves the taste of water. pthsoft improves taste of brack water. Resin softener on the other hand, releases sodium in water during cation exchange process, resulting in brackish taste. (Sodium is the metal component of ordinary salt.)
8. Health benefits. Nails break less easily with pthsoft; skin rash and irritations are minimised; hair perms last much longer and hair requires less shampooing. pthsoft enables the body to continue absorbing calcium and magnesium in water. Those substances – essential for building of cells in bone, teeth, hair and nails – are neutralised, however resin softeners remove calcium and magnesium and deprives the body of those sources.
9. Easy to disconnect and transport. pthsoft is smaller and more compact than resin softener, and may easily be disconnected and taken with when owner moves house.
10. Reduces chlorine in your pool by 50%. pthsoft reduces the HTH (chlorine) requirements for your swimming pool by 50%!
Above: Blue inner tube on water pool. Source: Shutterstock.
I would just like to inform you about the excellent results I had with your PTH de-ioniser that I installed on a 6Kw water-distallation apparatus. This operates 24 hours a day…normally requiring descaling every 6 months, involving acids and lots of labour. After running a new stainless steel distillation apparatus trouble-free for a year, 24 hours a day, fitted with a PTH, I expected a major descaling operation. I was pleasantly surprised on inspection the boiler tank and elements were virtually scale-free. It can definitely run for another year. Your device saved me man-hours.
Frank Peiser Dept. of Medical Biochemistry, Stellenbosch University